Read our interview with Bagus Satrio and Ben Robinson over at Stitchdown.com
Some of the best leather footwear in the world is made in Bandung, a few hours drive South-East of Jakarta, Indonesia. Bandung's shoe industry was developed under Dutch colonization, but has remained a hub of high quality boot & shoemaking even after Indonesia gained its independence. Despite decades of history, the area and Indonesia in general have only recently become noticed by a larger and more international footwear audience - thanks in no small part to Bagus Satrio and his brand, Sagara Bootmaker.
The Valiant is a classic lace-to-toe logger style boot with a slightly lowered heel and a sleek, low profile stance. It's put together with a 270 degree hand-welted storm welt, with row after row of extremely precise high-SPI upper stitching, a tonal Dr. Sole's cork outsole, and a fully-lined interior. The lace-to-toe style allows for a superbly comfortable and secure fit, making these a joy to wear for hours at a time - if the need arises.
These are made from an Italian crust horsebutt, sourced from the Cloe Tannery just west of Florence. The crust horsebutt is a truly natural leather, akin to an unsanforized denim or loomstate fabric, as the hide has been tanned but NOT dyed or finished. This means that the leather will darken quickly and drastically over time, taking on color from sunlight, moisture, and whatever you're walking around in. Additionally, because the hides do not undergo any formal finishing process, noticeable variation in color and texture between different boots and panels is to be expected.
These are built on Sagara’s Morgan last, which is a generous D-width last that’s plenty accommodating for folks with wider feet. Sizing is very easy - in fact, we’ve made it even easier by converting Sagara’s EU sizing numbers to US sizing, which itself corresponds with Brannock.
Put more simply, these fit true to Brannock size, so if you measure a size 9 on a Brannock device, you’ll want a size 9 on the Morgan last.
The trims are fittingly high quality, from the brass hardware (a combination of 5 eyelets, 4 speed hooks, & one more eyelet), to the multiple sets of included laces (three sets total), to the tonal Dr. Soles Supergrip cord outsole & heel combo. Additionally, each boot features a custom S&S x Sagara gold foil stamp on the insole, and every pair comes with two included pouches of Indonesian tea, hand-selected by Bagus himself.
Fits true to Brannock size. If you have narrow or particularly low-volume feet, choose 0.5 size smaller than Brannock for the best fit.
- Cloe Crust Horsebutt (Italy)
- Exclusive S&S collaboration
- Built on the Morgan Last
- Approximately 7" height, including heel
- Goodyear welt construction
- Lace to toe fit
- Hand lasted
- Hand welted 270 degree storm welt
- Full leather lining
- Dr Soles white cork half sole and heel
- Antique brass eyelets and speedhooks
- Comes with dust bags, three sets of laces, & two pouches of Indonesian tea
- Made by hand in Bandung, Indonesia
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Built on the Sagara Morgan Last
Need help with sizing? Contact us.
- Narrow and low volume feet:
- 0.5 size smaller than Brannock
- D-Width and average volume feet:
- Same as Brannock / True to Brannock size
- E & EE-Width and high volume feet:
- Same as Brannock for E-Width. EE-Width and above feet may struggle to find an ideal fit in any size
|Sagara US to EU Sizing
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders $300 and over - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $300 - $12 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders under $400
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $18
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $55
Canada Shipping - Orders over $400
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $55
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Exchanges or returns for store credit will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessively worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- Full terms and conditions are here.
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.