The trimmings are up to par with what we expect from Viberg, especially on such a high caliber leather. The uppers are sewn together with precise double needle stitching, with a tonal black thread and high SPI (stitches per inch) count. Viberg's signature double row stitchdown outsole stitching is equally clean, extending 270 degrees to a clean finish around the heel. Like any pair of goodyear welted boots or shoes, Viberg's stitchdown construction boots can be rebuilt and maintained for a lifetime of wear.
They stand on the Ridgeway sole and heel combo, and if I'm being honest, I wasn't sold on it at first. However, after spending some time in them, I'm surprised and pleased to support that I've come around on these. The Ridgeway sole is light, flexible, very comfortable to stand on, and with great traction. These are certainly the sort of sole that I'd have no trouble walking around in, whether I'm in the city, the office, the garden, or the woods.
Additionally, as a fun fact, the Ridgeway sole is stamped, advertising that it is "94% made in England" - what they do not mention is that the remaining 6% is actually made in France, a historical quirk that is maintained (by law) through the continuation of a single hundred-year-old trade agreement between England and France.
For lacing, we opted for 7 gunmetal eyelets, allowing you to dress the boot up should you feel like it, and maintaining the serious tone of these stunning-looking black boots. Viberg has included a set of flat waxed laces (which appear in the photos above) and a second set of black rawhide laces, which have a slightly more rugged look.