Don't forget to read our six month review of the Tanker Boots
Originally designed in collaboration with General Patton in 1937, this WWII boot comes back to life in a new collaboration between Gary Eastman and John Lofgren. The goal was to build the absolute finest, high-end example of this boot, and they've succeeded.
Tanker boots were made, not surprisingly, for tank operators. Laces and eyelets are dangerous in the tight confines of a tank, catching on things or melting. Straps made for a safer boot, and are used to this day. The boots themselves are taller, with gusset rising to nearly the top of the boot, making them waterproof and resistant to the deep mud of WWII.
The last that these boots are built around was created by taking mold from an original WWII pair, then fine-tuned to produce an elegant silhouette while staying true to the original. They are Goodyear-welted with a UK-made storm welt for maximum weatherproofing. The soles are a custom Japanese-made reproduction of the original WWII US Army chequered patterned soles. Woven shuttle-loomed labels finish off the boot.
The horsehide used for these is a very special release from Horween. The tannage is the same as Chromexcel, and the roughout side is heavily burnished to the point where it appears to be top grain leather. Gary Eastman selected this leather specifically for the uncanny resemblance to WWII combat boots that were hand-burnished by GIs. This practice was done to add waterproofing to the roughout service boots issued at the time by polishing over the nap with as much wax as the boots would hold. With wear, the nap will show through again on high-wear areas, while remaining smooth elsewhere.
Please note - some boots may have significant differences in grain tension on the shaft, resulting in a "wrinkly" areas. This is an intentional choice by Gary Eastman to make the boots look more period correct. As the boots age, areas with lower grain tension on the shaft will pops out and will give them a really nice vintage character. The durability of these areas is not affected, it is merely an aesthetic choice.
These run quite large. Choose one size smaller than your Brannock size.
- Horweeen combination tanned horse front uppers
- Burnished roughout finish
- Fully leather lined
- Custom lasts made from the original WWII boots
- Blackened solid brass buckles
- Double stitched at high stress points
- Goodyear storm welts
- Custom US Army WWII soles
- Cat's Paw heels
- Choose 1 size smaller than Brannock device size
- Made in Japan
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Choose one size smaller than your Brannock device size.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $400
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $400
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessivley worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.