The Eastman Raider Boots are another more obscure piece of historical footwear that Gary has worked to revive, and we're seriously glad he did. Based on original pairs of Theodore Bergmann Shoe MFG Co. worn by specialty Marine units during the second World War, they represent an interesting interaction between the fledging US Special Forces and the growing private sector.
Before the official introduction of Special Forces units within the US Military, elite "Raiders" units were formed amongst the US Marine Corps. These specialty units were experts in guerrilla warfare, being deployed behind enemy lines for extended durations - requiring top of the line equipment to successfully conduct their missions successfully.
The Raider Boots are a recreation of the special private-issue boots worn by the 2nd Raider Battalion, and are just as handsome, durable, and functional as the originals. Seeking a service boot that was hardier than anything offered by the government, the 2nd Battalion opted to wear civilian logger boots, as they held up much better than any military issue footwear of the time.
They're made from Italian veg-tanned horsehide, a custom "walnut brown" tannage developed exclusively for Eastman Leather - this superior quality leather will age and wear just like the original Raider Boots from WWII. The vegetable tanned leather starts a little stiffer than some other leathers, but over time will break in and take the shape of the wearer's foot, softening considerably. On top of that, the brown dye at the surface of the leather will darken as it takes in oils and moisture, and grow lighter in areas where the uppers scuff off to reveal the natural core beneath.
The trims are no joke either, as one would expect from the combined forces of Gary Eastman and John Lofgren (these boots produced at John Lofgren's workshops in Japan) - from the custom made Eastman raw cord outsole and heel, to the shuttle loom woven labels, to the mil-spec eyelets and heavy duty multi-row stitching. The very large tongue is fully gusseted for extra security, firmly wrapping your ankle behind brown rawhide laces.
These have fairly standard heritage-boot sizing - take one size smaller than your Brannock size for the best fit.
- Vegetable-tanned horsehide uppers from Italy
- Fully leather lined
- Custom lasts made from the original WWII boots
- 12 mil-spec tonal eyelets
- Brown leather laces
- Double row 270 degree goodyear welt
- Double stitched at high stress points
- Woven shuttle looms
- Custom Eastman raw cord outsoles and heels
- Perforated Eastman branding at shaft
- Choose 1 size smaller than Brannock device size
- (Re)designed in England
- Made in Japan
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Our sizing recommendations
These are an accommodating last with a rounded toe, relaxed fit through the waist, and a comfortable heel. The last is E-width, with a lace-to-toe configuration that fits well on the majority of different feet.
Narrow and low volume feet:
- 1 size smaller thanBrannock for a comfortable fit (you may need to use insoles, thick socks, or both)
D-Width and average volume feet:
- 1 size smaller than Brannock for a comfortable fit
E width feet with average volume:
- 1 size smaller than Brannock for a snug fit
- 0.5 size smaller than Brannock for a more relaxed fit
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Bandanas, Patches, T-Shirts, Socks, & Hats - $5 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders $300 and over - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $300 - $12 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders under $400
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $18
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $55
Canada Shipping - Orders over $400
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $55
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Exchanges or returns for store credit will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessively worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- Full terms and conditions are here.
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.