Read our DEEP DIVE on this jacket here!
The Kakishibu Type-I Jacket is a spectacular example of Y'2 doing what they do best, reimagining a classic style in an incredible custom horsehide that looks stellar from day one and ages quickly and drastically. The leather itself is difficult to produce and sensitive to work with, as this isn't just any natural (undyed) veg-tan leather, this horsehide is tanned and dyed with persimmons.
Kakishibu is a traditional Japanese dying technique that uses aged persimmon tannins, with "Kakishibu" literally meaning "persimmon astringency". Kakishibu has also been called “Taiyo-zome (sun-dye)” due to the photosensitivity of the dye - areas exposed to light will grow darker and richer in tone, eventually reaching a true persimmon color. As a result of this increased photosensitivity, this Kakishibu horsehide will age faster than most natural veg-tan leathers.
The pattern is minimal, Y'2 basing their design on WWII era Type-I jackets, but stripping it of the traditional embellishments like a buckle back or back pleats. This allows the leather to do the talking, showing off the impressive horsehide and Y'2's masterful cutting, and ensures more consistent patina across the entire jacket.
The front features a single open chest pocket, with the classic double pleats running up the sides of the placket. The whole thing closes up with just four donut buttons, same buttons as on the cuffs - these buttons can be a bit tough at first, but break in quickly with use. The body is lined with a 100% cotton twill, a lightweight dark brown fabric that breathes well in warmer weather. Inside, there are two chest pockets that can be used as more secure storage than the single external pocket, a nice touch and a welcome update on the WWII-era style.
Fits true to size. Do not wash or dry.
- Read the DEEP DIVE
- 1.5mm Kakishibu horsehide
- Persimmon-tanned leather
- Persimmon-dyed leather
- 100% cotton body lining
- 100% nylon sleeve lining
- Four donut shank buttons
- Double pleated front
- Single chest pocket
- Copper rivet reinforcements
- Lowered placket
- Minimal paneling
- Two internal chest pockets
- Custom labels
- Fits true to size
- Made in Japan
See how we measure - click here.
Is your size out of stock? Click your size to sign up for a back-in-stock alert.
All measurements are in inches.
Model Gen wears a size 40
Gen's sizing specs are:
6'1 and 180lbs
41" chest and 31" waist
Gen is cooler than any cucumber
Fits true to size.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $400
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $400
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessivley worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.