Don't see an item you want from The Real McCoy's?
We can special order any item their catalog.
Contact us more for info.
Korozen, also known as the 'dye of the sun', was the color for formal royal garments during the Heian period in Japan. It had incredible color-changing characteristics, much like an opal, with a base color of madder red which shifts as light moves over it. The technique was passed down generationally from artisan to artisan, but was eventually lost to time.
Yusai Okuda was the one to finally unlock this mystery in 1990, at the Yusai Dyeing Laboratory in Kyoto. He founded that laboratory in 1980 after studying painting; engraving; and both Western and Japanese garment design.
The Real McCoy's is only the 3rd company allowed to use this dying technique, and they chose to use it on their flagship A-2 flight jacket. The result is the most limited edition of a jacket that is already tough to come by due to the atelier-built nature of the product. The color is hard to pin down, starting as a red and then showing yellow highlights in bright sunlight.
The A-2 is painstakingly sewn by one operator from start to finish, each one is built to last a lifetime. The hide for each panel of the jacket is carefully selected to avoid any imperfections that might lead to a blowout in ten years; and also to align the characteristics of the panel with the cut of hide for stretch, drape, and thickness.
All of the trim and details are also just as exacting. The ribbing is all circular knit 100% wool. All the hardware is custom produced to perfectly replicate the originals, including the neck hook, push stud buttons, and the zipper.
These are extremely limited, and when they're gone, there will not ever be another production run of these made.
For sizing - these run true to size, with a 42 being roughly a large. Check the measurements, and contact us with any sizing questions. The fit on this has been slightly changed since the last version, and it is slightly shorter, with tighter wrists.
- Hand-dyed Yume Korozen over custom Shinki horsehide outer
- 100% custom wool ribbing
- All cotton thread
- All cotton zipper tape
- Custom produced period hardware
- Made in Japan
See how we measure - click here.
All measurements are in inches.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.