The A-2 flight jacket replaced the A-1 as the standard flight jacket for the USAAF in 1931, and continued on (officially) until 1944. However, it was such a honored and beloved garment that it was worn well into the Korean War, with some pilots having new ones custom-made.
A deep obsession with quality over the entire life of a garment is what sets The Real McCoy's leather jackets apart from all others. It begins at the Shinki tannery, where they have their own separate temperature and humidity controlled room to store hides destined for their jackets.
From there, each panel is cut from specific parts of the hide based on stretch, grain, and thickness to match the needs of that area of the garment. Any thin areas or scars are rejected, to prevent failure a decade down the road.
After their dedicated cutter cuts the panels, every jacket is sewn at The Real McCoy's atelier in Kobe. A single craftsman builds the entire jacket from start to finish.
All of the trim and details are also just as exacting. The ribbing is all circular knit 100% wool. All the hardware is custom produced to perfectly replicate the originals, including the neck hook, push stud buttons, and the zipper. Even the thread is custom-made for this jacket, as it is between modern thread sizes.
During World War 2, a wide range of colors of the A-2 were produced. The raw sienna of this version would have been the very lightest, and likely would have been overdyed seal brown after use to cover up wear marks.
For sizing - these run true to size, with a 42 being roughly a large. Check the measurements, and contact us with any sizing questions.
- Shinki Vegetable-tanned horsehide
- 100% wool ribbing
- All cotton thread
- All cotton zipper tape
- 100% cotton lining
- Custom produced period hardware
- Made in Japan
- True to size
See how we measure - click here.
All measurements are in inches.
Please note some of our shipping rates have changed.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $20
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.