Starting in 1914, and continuing up until the 1960's, the British Royal Engineers Signal Service used motorcycle riders, known as Despatch or Dispatch Riders as part of their communications infrastructure. The ability of a motorcycle and rider to go places on bombed-out roads that cars could not made a major impact on the war effort.
To go with the all-weather demands of the job, those messengers wore heavy, long coats replete with belts, snaps, and buckles to keep everything in place. Eventually this garment would evolve into the prototype for the civilian macintosh jackets as well as wartime trench coats.
Decades later, the madmen at Nine Lives have picked up this template and sliced out everything extraneous. The key elements are still there: the large protective collar; the document pocket; and double-layer front.
The body is made up from a Super 120's merino wool, woven in Japan. Super 120's is a fine merino, usually used in suiting. When woven into a melton, it turns into a dense, soft blanket of a fabric, perfect for chilly days. The buttons are custom made for this piece, and it's lined with the nicest cupra around.
True to size with a slightly slouchy, relaxed fit. Dry clean only.
- Super 120's Japanese melton merino wool exterior
- Cupra lining
- Custom horn buttons
- Dry clean only
- True to size
- Made in Japan
See how we measure - click here.
All measurements are in inches.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.