Designed in collaboration with our good friends over at Stitchdown.com, the Midnight Gasfires are a special twist on the classic boondocker boot. Cooked up by Neil & Ben during an intense 14-hour video call about "the future of feet", the pitch was this - a WWII-style boondocker in a historically inaccurate/unusual leather color, specifically, the criminally underutilized Horween Petrol Reverse Chamois.
Assembled on Viberg's 2040 last - which lies somewhere between the 2030 and 310 in terms of chunkiness and overall balance. With a good bit more room in the forefoot than the 2030, these boots have a snug waist and heel, and fairly low instep. Overall though, the shape is sleek but not pointy, low profile but not skinny or slim.
For the leather, we chose Petrolio reverse chamois, a deep, inky petrol blue that almost looks black in some lighting. Reverse chamois is one of our favorite leathers of all time due to its comfort, durability, and ease of care. Being heavily oiled during its tanning process, chamois is famously resistant to water and rain. It also looks great brand new and ages wonderfully, making it an ideal leather for year-round wear.
It's finished with an unstructured plain toe that really shows the sleekness of the 2040 last, 7 nickel eyelets, and all white topstitching. The whole thing is standing on Dr. Sole's corded outsole & heel combo, and Viberg's stitchdown construction means you can resole and rebuild these for a lifetime of good wear.
Take one size smaller than your Brannock size. If you have wide feet, take 1/2 size smaller than Brannock.
- S&S x Stitchdown x Viberg
- Petrolio Chamois Reverse Leather
- 2040 last, unstructured toe
- Boondocker Service Boot
- Stitchdown construction
- White upper stitching thread
- White outsole stitching thread
- 7 nickel eyelets
- Dr Soles Raw Cord outsole
- Includes both flat waxed and rawhide laces in black
- Choose one size smaller than your Brannock size
- Stitchdown construction
- Made in Victoria, BC, Canada
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Built on the Viberg 2040 Last
Choose 1 size smaller than your Brannock device size - If you have wide feet or a tall instep, take 1/2 size smaller than Brannock.
Choose 0.5 size smaller than your Red Wing Iron Ranger or Alden Barrie last size.
Choose the same size as your Viberg 2030 last size.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessivley worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.