The original M-43 service shoe that serves as the model for these was issued in 1943, with the rivetless version starting in 1944. The basic specifications for this boot were very simple. Composition sole, welted construction, natural combination-tanned rough-out cowhide, all built up on the Munson last with an unstructured toe. The goal was to have a cost-effective, durable shoe for all forms of combat conditions. Multiple variants popped up across the armed forces, including version for the Marines and the Navy, all with the same basic template.
Our latest collab boot with John Lofgren was inspired by the extensive research we do on the reproduction garments that we sell. The variety of one-offs and odd batches by the many contractors involved in supplying eight million active soldiers around the world during WW2 is absolutely staggering, which led us to ask - what could be out there that we haven't seen?
The answer is the entirely plausible Black Cat variation of the John Lofgren M-43. We swapped in a combination-tanned black Japanese roughout steerhide and added a custom shuttle-loomed label to complete the effect. The rest of the build stays the same, with USA-made Vibram 705 soles with 700 heels held on with a British-made Goodyear welt.
They are built around the same Munson last as used in the originals, which makes for a comfortable, supportive boot.
- Unlined black rough-out Japanese steerhide, tanned in Himeji
- Munson last
- Unstructured toe
- Leather midsole
- Shuttle loomed label.
- Goodyear welt
- Vibram 705 sole with 700 heel
- Made In Japan
Choose 1 size smaller than your Brannock device size.
Choose 0.5 size smaller than your Red Wing Iron Ranger or Alden Barrie last size.
Choose the same size as your Viberg 2030 last size.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
View our other policies here
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.