In the later decades of the nineteenth century, the cattle barons and ranch owners of the great American West controlled massive swaths of the land. Their operations were expanding rapidly, acquiring cattle and staff as quickly as they could.
At first, small-time ranches were the only ones issuing matching bandannas to their cowboys and ranch hands, but before long, each and every cattle organization in the West had their own signature bandanna design and colors. This idea, while revolutionary at first, backfired quickly and spectacularly for these companies with the rise of outlaw cattle rustling.
Anyone looking to get started in the very lucrative business of cattle rustling needed only to get a gun, a horse, and the bandanna of another ranch before riding off to steal whatever they could rustle. Witnesses could only identify the bandanna, and never the bandit, leading to greater confusion for law enforcement of the time.
As this practice became more widepread, it became the style of bandits and cattle rustlers across the west to wear their bandannas "wrong side" out, or backwards.
Men like Jack "Three Spoons" Dakota, who terrorized the stretch of land running from Montana to New Mexico, (and as far west as California, from 1877 to 1891, up until his disappearance in 1892) sported a different ranch bandana during each and every crime he committed.
After the Great Rustlings of 1887 & 88, many cattle operations stopped making ranch bandannas, as massive losses from rustlers depleted their finances. This also led to a decline in rustler activity, as a bandanna disguise was no longer easily obtainable.
While you certainly won't be arrested for wearing your bandanna backwards in the 21st century, they do make an excellent face covering, whether you wear yours front out or not.
Designed by Mister Freedom in Los Angeles, and then made by SugarCane Co. in Japan, these 100% cotton, selvedge bandannas, use a water based ink for their print, giving a full deep color no matter which way you wear it.
- 100% cotton Japanese traditional selvedge “bandana” lightweight fabric
- One side cut to selvedge
- Traditional narrow hems on three sides
- Vintage-inspired 1950s-60s dude ranch cowboy/western artwork.
- Water-based ink print
- 23" x 23"
- True to size
- Wash however you want
- Citation needed on this product copy
- Kraft paper envelope packaging
- Made in Japan
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - Free shipping
Orders under $150 - Flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
View our other policies here
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.