The Two Ears brand is a collaborative effort between Jonathan Lukacek and Ooe Yofukuten to create 1860’s-1880’s accurate bandannas. After a decade of collecting vintage pieces, old factory samples, and intense research, everything came together to bring this project to life in 2018.
The Liberty design dates from the 1890’s to early 1900’s. This design was integrated into many campaign bandannas and is a fine example of ephemeral bandannas during this era using a lot of dots, diamonds, and stripes. This was a pivotal design change in American bandannas from ornate to simple, and set the trend for the design of bandannas for the 1930’s and after.
Two Ears is a play on Japanese and English words. The word for selvedge in Japanese is “mimi” which also happens to mean ear - and the unit counter of corn in english is "ear". Two sides of selvedge, two ears.
The fabric is woven on narrow looms dating back to the 1800's with two sides of selvedge - the only bandana brand out there with this feature. The printing is all done by hand, and the sewing is all by a single operator. This entire process is done completely in Japan.
In the late 1800s, the black dye came from Aniline or Logwood, with Aniline black coming from a potentially dangerous process involving boiling muriatic acid. Basically, all this means that the color black was hard to produce back in the day.
After careful study of a vintage black bandanna from the 1880s and after pouring over their well of historical manufacturing resources, our friends at Two Ears Brand have managed to replicate a period-correct black color. Additionally, this bandanna will age authentically, fading over time just like a bandanna from 1880 would have.
The challenge of producing a perfect simple product is immense. Ooe Yofukuten are experts in this realm, and combined with Jonathan's deep knowledge of vintage bandanas, Two Ears has produced the absolute best bandana we've ever held.
- 100% cotton
- Two selvedge edges
- Vintage black color
- 50cm x 50cm (19.7" x 19.7")
- Made entirely in Japan
Measures 19.7" x 19.7" square
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessivley worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.