Wolfgang Latelme has been traveling and researching traditional French pocket knives since the 1970’s. There is no-one out there more well-researched on the subject, with his depth of real, hands-on experience. He started out as an importer and distributor of these knives, and when the opportunity arose in 2004, launched PassionFrance.
Through the use of traditional forges combined with German quality standards, PassionFrance continues the legacy of traditional French knives. In 2010, they created their own atelier in Thiers, France to produce their first unique design of Laguiole. They also continue to work a very select group of knife-makers across France to produce their traditional models.
The most famous of French knives, the Laguiole is named for the small village on the high plateau of the Massif Central in the Auvergne. The first recognizable version dates back to 1828, where it likely emerged from a combination of short dagger common in that region together with the Spanish Navaja knife.
This particular Laguiole is the one that led to the PassionFrance atelier being created. In 2010, the two-time “meilleur ouvrier de France” (best craftsman of France) Robert Beillonnet designed a new Laguiole for PassionFrance. The goal was to add a corkscrew while maintaining the elegant lines of the knife, which previously had not been done well at all. By relocating the corkscrew to the side of the knife, Robert was able to preserve the slimness and elegance of the knife, and make the corkscrew more functional than before.
The jurors of the International Knife Award chose his design during the IWA in Nuremberg in 2010 and awarded it the title “Knife of the Year”, as it represented a true evolution and a new step in the history of the Laguiole.
These are all handmade in the PassionFrance atelier in Thiers, France.
- 12cm length
- Camel bone handle
- Handmade in Thiers, France at PassionFrance
Please note some of our shipping rates have changed.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $20
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
Our return policies are different during our November promotion - view the terms and conditions here.
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.