Wolfgang Latelme has been traveling and researching traditional French pocket knives since the 1970’s. There is no-one out there more well-researched on the subject, with his depth of real, hands-on experience. He started out as an importer and distributor of these knives, and when the opportunity arose in 2004, launched PassionFrance.
Though the use of traditional forges combined with German quality standards, PassionFrance continues the legacy of traditional French knives. In 2010, PassionFrance was able to create their own atelier in Thiers, France to produce their first unique design of Laguiole. They also continue to work a very select group of knife-makers across France to produce their traditional models.
The most famous of French knives, the Laguiole is named for the small village on the high plateau of the Massif Central in the Auvergne. The first recognizable version dates back to 1828, where it likely emerged from a combination of short dagger common in that region together with the Spanish Navaja knife.
The bee on the ressort -the spring on the back on the knife - is said to have been rewarded to the knife makers of Laguiole by Napolean to show his gratitude for their services. This bee or other adornment on the ressortis known as the mouche.
This particular Laguiole is from the Luxe series by PassionFrance, made for them by the traditional cutler ARTO in Thiers, France. These are made entirely by hand, by one person. The ressortand moucheare all one piece, as opposed to the traditional two-piece welded construction. The blade does not come to rest against the ressort,so there is no metal-on-metal contact to prematurely wear down the edge.
- 11cm Inox blade
- Horn handle
- One piece forged ressort with integrated mouche
- Blade does not rest on ressort
- Two mitreconstruction for strength
- Made by hand in France by one cutler start to finish
Please note some of our shipping rates have changed.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
Our return policies are different during our November promotion - view the terms and conditions here.
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.