In the early 20th century, when rail was still core to the developing American economy, foot protection was needed for the "firemen " who worked feeding coals to the steam engine on the train. American boot makers, Red Wing included, developed a new style for these hardworking men based on horse riding boots with little stitching, a tall shaft, rugged leathers, and a supportive sole.
In the 1930's Red Wing created the 2268 engineer boot, which is a serious collectors item these day. The 2966 is heavily based on that first Red Wing engineer boot, and the closest thing that is available today to an early 20th century engineer boot.
The 2966 has a shape very similar to the original 2268, with a 1980's style vertical label, and 1990's style logo embossed on the shaft. They're made up from one of Red Wing Heritage's best leathers: Black Klondike, which is double-tanned to be black with a brown core, just like the early boots.
These are very narrow and tight just like the original boots. We recommend 1/2 size up from your usual Red Wing size.
- Black "Klondike" double-tanned leather which will fade to brown over time.
- Black neoprene cord soles
- 11" shaft
- 1990's-style "Red Wing" embossing on shaft
- Vertical label (early 1980's style)
- Run small and narrow, take 1/2 size larger than your usual Red Wing size
- We are unable to ship Red Wing Heritage products outside the USA/Canada.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $30
USPS Priority Mail Express (3 - 5 business days) - $40
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $30
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (overnight) - $30
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.