Wolfgang Latelme has been traveling and researching traditional French pocket knives since the 1970’s. There is no-one out there more well-researched on the subject, with his depth of real, hands-on experience. He started out as an importer and distributor of these knives, and when the opportunity arose in 2004, launched PassionFrance.
Though the use of traditional forges combined with German quality standards, PassionFrance continues the legacy of traditional French knives. In 2010, PassionFrance was able to create their own atelier in Thiers, France to produce their first unique design of Laguiole. They also continue to work a very select group of knife-makers across France to produce their traditional models.
Simple and stylish knife with engraving on the blade. Created in 1929 by Gaspard Cognet for sale to the French colonies in Oceania. The handle depicts a "douk-douk", a Melanesian spirit. Originally conceived as an inexpensive tool for the ordinary worker. The knife's popularity spread quickly and has with its long history and authentic design become very iconic with users all of the world.
Made continuously (and unchanged since 1929) by the same company, M.C. Cognet, the Douk-douk is one of the great tool knives in the world. Simple in construction with a stamped steel handle, two rivets, backspring, bail, and a high-carbon steel blade. The blade is where the magic is. Hardened and hollow-ground, it’ll stay sharp and functional through years of hard use.
The name comes from the character stamped on the handle. The Douk-douk is a Melanesian spirit of doom, picked largely at random from an encyclopedia by Gaston Cognet, the designer of the knife.
- 11cm blade
- High-carbon steel black
- Stamped steel handle
- Made by M.C. Cognet in Thiers, France
Please note some of our shipping rates have changed.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
View our other policies here
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.