MotivMfg moves the heritage menswear aesthetic forward while remaining legible in the moment. Constant research into the garment making techniques around the world informs their design with the goal of creating “recreations” rather than “reproductions”. They walk this line while not sacrificing quality or craftsmanship in their product.
The team behind this is Samuel Wei, founder of Radiance Blue and the pioneer of the heritage market in China; and Daniel Gu, a third-generation tailor who combines old-world tailoring based on antique German manuals, with workwear production techniques.
This is Motiv's interpretation of a double breasted Ulster Coat. Cut with a relaxed chest (and a less structured fit in general), the shaping on this jacket comes from the tailoring. Specifically, the two extra-deep pleats that run down the back of the jacket. These pleats are secured with a short half-belt, and double as faux-gussets that allow for great range of movement with ease.
The jacket is sewn up in a plush 100% wool overcoat fabric produced by Marling & Evans in England, made from a blend of virgin wool from three different breeds of English sheep. The fabric itself has undergone minimal finishing, allowing the quality of wool used to do the talking.
The interior is lined with a 100% cotton black corduroy with a very fine wale. The yoke, sleeves, and top interior pockets are lined with a slick 100% bemberg fabric, allowing for easy layering. With two external patch pockets and four internal pockets, you'll never find yourself lacking storage, and chunky, custom buttons close the whole thing up.
Despite the Ulster Coat's seemingly oversized measurements, we suggest taking your true size in the Ulster coat for the most classic fit and easiest layering. For a more tailored fit, sizing down is an option - likewise, for a more relaxed fit you should size up. The pleated back as well as the relaxed drape of the fabric allow for comfortable movement in a range of sizes.
True to size. Dry clean only.
- Exterior: 100% new wool English sheep blend
- Lining: 100% cotton corduroy
- Sleeve lining: 100% Bemberg
- Flap patch pockets
- Four interior pockets
- Double breasted closure
- True to size
- Double back pleats
- Half belt
- Single-vented back
- Custom Hardware
- Custom labels
- Dry clean only
- Made in Beijing
See how we measure - click here.
Is your size out of stock? Click your size to sign up for a back-in-stock alert.
All measurements are in inches.
Model Elliot wears size 48 / Medium
His sizing specs are:
6'1 and 155lbs
38" chest and 30" waist
True to size. Dry clean only.
|Small / 46
|Medium / 48
|Large / 50
|Extra Large / 52
|XXL / 54
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping most USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
PPE and Bandannas under $100 - $3 via USPS First Class Mail
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- A restocking fee of $25 applies to all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached.
- Items that have been washed, hemmed, altered, excessivley worn, set aflame or touched by a private equity firm cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.