This garment and the matching jacket could be read as just cool vintage workwear suit; or you can dive in for some deep workwear history. There's some textile wizardry stuffed in here, as well.
When you look at a vintage photo or painting of a street scene in Paris, it looks like everyone's wearing a suit. Banker, artist, produce dealer, baker, all in suits. What you cannot tease out from gazing back in time is the cloth each suit is cut from. The suits of the working class were made from hardy, tough textiles like this one, designed to look at least passible in the city while surviving the abuse of real labor.
To get to this fabric, Christophe took a cutting from an interwar period pair of French work trousers (1920's - 1930's) and sent it to the magicians at Toyo Enterprises. Mr. Arai took the swatch apart down to the yarns, and reverse engineered the fabric for production in Japan. The resulting selvedge mock-twist stripe fabric is not like anything you've seen before.
The trousers have everything we love. The fit is a medium rise, with a straight leg allowing for your choice of footwear. The back cinch is outfitted with a NOS slide buckle, and sits above welt pockets. They're lined with the same NOS fancy woven stripe twill as the matching jacket.
Fit is true to tagged size, take your measured waist size for best fit.
Wash cold, hang dry. Do not, under any circumstances, put this through a tumble dryer.
- 100% cotton Mock-Twist stripe twill, solid black selvedge, milled in Japan.
- 100% cotton European NOS fancy woven stripe plain weave pocketing and lining
- Corozo fly and waist buttons
- Selvedge outseam
- Rear welt pockets
- Trousers-style belt loops.
- Adjustable back cinch strap, with vintage NOS metal slide buckles.
- Tailor shop-style unfinished overlocked leg bottom, to suit your cuffing preferences.
- Tonal 100% cotton stitching construction
- Size up for a comfortable fit, true to size for a snug fit
- Wash cold, hang dry
- Made in USA
See how we measure - click here.
All measurements are in inches.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
View our other policies here
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.