The ‘1939’ in British Tan is part of Wesco’s 100th anniversary collection and one of the most interesting boots we’ve had come through our doors recently.
1939 was the first year that Wesco produced their iconic Boss engineer boot, and it was immediately in high demand for use by welders at the Port of Portland, Oregon. The pull-on style meant it both kept sparks out, and was easy to kick off if sparks did get down the shaft.
The construction is the most notable element here. These are built with a full naildown construction which was used by Wesco in the early 1900s.
In Wesco’s standard stitch down construction the vamp and counter flare out and are stitched to the midsole and the outsole; in naildown, the vamp and counter are wrapped under the insole, and nailed down all the way around the boot. The midsole is then nailed to this stack of leather, and finally, the outsole is attached with a single row on a Rapid E machine. This produces a sleeker boot with a vintage look that can still be re-soled and re-built like all Wesco boots.
The trimmings are all in keeping with the vintage construction, with Wesco’s original 1930’s style stitching including the 3-row vamp stitch and backstay. Original vintage, deadstock Nailed Sole labels are sewn on the outside of the shafts, retrieved from Wesco’s archives specifically for these boots. Each box includes a leather Wesco pouch with a dust cloth and cleaner/conditioner for your boots; each boot ships in it’s own 100th Anniversary flannel dust bag.
These are built on the #1339 shoe last, take the same size as the Axe Breaker, Knuckle Dragger, Van Cleef, Wesco Boss size or Red Wing Heritage. These boots fit narrow; E width fits like a standard D width. Custom and other sizes available, contact us for more info.
- British Tan leather uppers
- Wesco Motor Patrol last
- 10" shaft height, 1.5" height logger style heel
- Dark Brown Vibram 705 half sole and heel
- Naildown construction
- Solid brass roller buckles
- 1930's Engineer style stitching
- Triple needle stitching on vamp and counter
- Vee stitch backstay
- Waxed edges on midsoles and heel stacks
- Single row of outsole stitching
- Deadstock “Nailed Sole” labels on shaft from the 1940's
- Includes leather pouch with cleaning supplies
- Packed in flannel dust bags
- Take your size in Wesco Boss, or Red Wing Heritage
- Sizing runs narrow - E width fits like standard D width
- Custom and other sizes available
- No engineering degree required to wear these boots
- Made in Scappoose, Oregon, USA
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $30
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $30
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $20
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $30
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.