The original M-43 service shoe that serves as the model for these was issued in 1943, with the rivetless version starting in 1944. The basic specifications for this boot were very simple. Composition sole, welted construction, natural combination-tanned rough-out cowhide, all built up on the Munson last with an unstructured toe. The goal was to have a cost-effective, durable shoe for all forms of combat conditions. Multiple variants popped up across the armed forces, including version for the Marines and the Navy, all with the same basic template.
Late in the war, US boot factories were cranking out an astounding number of boots to keep up with demand. In the field, these would only last 6-8 weeks in wet tropical Pacific Theatre. There was a spec to follow, but we like to imagine that somewhere along the way, a contractor ran out of steer hides and had to go over to horsehide. Whether or not that happened, these also happen to have the look of a dubbed pair of rough-out M-43s, just without the hard work.
These are made from Italian horsehide, vegetable tanned in Italy, and aniline finished in Japan. The same exacting standards that apply to all of Lofgren’s boots apply here, including the careful selection of inputs to ensure the highest quality product possible. Of course, they’re still built around the absolute best last around, the Munson, which fits pretty much every foot imaginable.
This 10th anniversary production run is beyond limited. Once we run out, we're out for good.
- Built on the original Munson Last
- Special 10th Anniversary Model
- Dark Brown horsehide leather vegetable tanned in Italy, aniline finished in Japan
- Leather midsole
- Goodyear welt
- USA made Vibram 705 sole with 700 heel
- Made In Japan
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Built on the original Munson Last
Choose 1 size smaller than your Brannock device size.
Choose 0.5 size smaller than your Red Wing Iron Ranger or Alden Barrie last size.
Choose the same size as your Viberg 2030 last size.
Our Oakland and Santa Fe stores are open for cubside pickup. View our curbside pickup info.
Due to USPS service delays, we are shipping USA orders via UPS Ground until further notice. If you prefer to have your order shipped with USPS, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only shipping international orders (except Canda) via DHL. We've had issues with USPS international shipments becoming lost in transit.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
Curbside pickup: Free
Orders over $100 - Free shipping via UPS Ground
Orders under $100 - $8 shipping via UPS Ground
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) via UPS - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
View our other policies here
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.