Starting in 1914, and continuing up until the 1960's, the British Royal Engineers Signal Service used motorcycle riders, known as Despatch or Dispatch Riders as part of their communications infrastructure. The ability of a motorcycle and rider to go places on bombed-out roads that cars could not made a major impact on the war effort.
To go with the all-weather demands of the job, those messengers wore the coats that this one is based on. The front wraps over for a secure windproof front, with a double-buckled belt to hold it down. The back hem snaps around the legs of the rider forming an extra layer of protection over their trousers.
Eventually this garment would evolve into the prototype for the civilian macintosh jackets as well as wartime trench coats.
The Real McCoy's better-than-the original rendition is made from a 22oz twill. This cloth is made in Japan from scratch just for this coat from a yarn-dyed 3ply 10-count yarn. It is extremely dense and has an incredible stiff drape to it ( and is tremendously hard to sew). The pockets have horsehide trimming and the bottom hem is trimmed in steerhide. All of the hardware is custom-made as well, and there's an extra throat-latch buttoned inside the garment.
All of the details tie back to the original garment and functionality with the large front pockets, the oversized collar and lapels that can be worn up as wind protection, and of course, the heavy weight fabric. No-one except The Real McCoy's could pull off the fabric, hardware, and manufacturing to make this particular coat.
True to size. Dry clean only
- 22oz 100% cotton twill, exclusive to this garment
- Custom hardware including double sided snaps
- Double buckle belt closure
- 2 large hip pockets
- 1 very large chest pocket
- Working snap cuffs
- True to size
- Made in Japan
See how we measure - click here.
All measurements are in inches.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $30
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $30
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $20
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $30
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.