This is a pre-order item for delivery in September 2020.
View our footwear pre-order terms and conditions
Clinch is made by BRASS, one of the first high-end shoe repair shops to open in Japan, owned and operated by Minoru Matsuura. They quickly evolved from shoe repair; to re-lasting to their custom lasts; to building incredible footwear around their custom lasts.
These lasts are where the magic is. Most modern lasts are optimized for mass-production. Wider, straighter, easier to pump through a production line, and easier to fit every single person into. Clinch's lasts start narrow, with a tight fit and a lot of contours to them, much like the lasts of the early 20th century. We chose their CN Wide Last, which is more suited to western feet than their standard last. For this pre-order, you may select the regular CN last if you have narrower feet.
The shape of the last dictates the careful construction of the boot. The insole is soaked, then molded to the bottom of the last. From there, the boot is built around that insole. Every step of the hand-sewn welting process is done by hand, except for sewing on the outsoles, a task best done by machine.
The leather on these engineers starts out as an undyed, vegetable tanned horsebutt which is then hand-painted with a brown overdye. The dye will fade and age much quicker than leathers dyed during the tanning process.
The horsebutt leather is sourced from Europe, hand-selected by Minoru himself for the right qualities of density and grain. This part is exceedingly important, as there is tremendous variation in quality in the supply of horsebutt with less than 50% of the stock being suitable for Clinch boots.
This horsebutt still contains the portion of membrane usually cut out to produce shell cordovan. There is a high density of fibers in this particular cut of hide, which leads to rolls in the area of the boot that flex, rather than creases. No other engineer boot out there will break in like these.
The rest of the materials are of equally high quality. Brass hardware, welts, and nails all come from Japan; the insole and midsole leathers come from the best tanneries in the world; and the outsoles are custom-made just for Clinch.
The combination of carefully selected hides, truly hand-built construction, and unique lasts creates a boot that is as close to vintage as possible but with all the advantages of modern materials.
For a really deep dive into the brand, check out this detailed article on Stitchdown.
- European horsebutt, hand-selected
- Hand overdyed brown leather
- Brown midsole edges
- Hand-sewn welted construction
- Custom brass hardware from Japan
- Nails from Japan
- Welting from Japan
- O'Sullivan's reproduction soles
- CN Wide last (standard CN last is available on request for this pre-order)
- Resoleable and rebuildable
- Unstructured toebox
- Hand-made in Tokyo
We reference Brannock sizing for our footwear. The Brannock Device is the standard foot measuring tool for the world's footwear industry. Most better quality footwear stores will have one.
Take one size smaller than your Brannock size. This last has a roomy forefoot, medium waist, and a snug heel.
Please note some of our shipping rates have changed.
All orders over $500 will ship signature required. Please contact us if you need us to waive signature confirmation.
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - Free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Expedited Shipping (1 - 2 business days) - $35
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 10 business days) - $30
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $40
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $50
Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
Our return policies are different during our November promotion - view the terms and conditions here.
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Starting October 1, 2019 we now require a restocking fee of $25 on all orders over $500 returned for a refund. The restocking fee does not apply to returns for store credit or exchange.
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.