The original M-43 service shoe that serves as the model for these was issued in 1943, with the rivetless version starting in 1944. The basic specifications for this boot were very simple. Composition sole, welted construction, natural combination-tanned rough-out cowhide, all built up on the Munson last with an unstructured toe. The goal was to have a cost-effective, durable shoe for all forms of combat conditions. Multiple variants popped up across the armed forces, including version for the Marines and the Navy, all with the same basic template.
Our latest collab boot with John Lofgren was inspired by the extensive research we do on the reproduction garments that we sell. The variety of one-offs and odd batches by the many contractors involved in supplying eight million active soldiers around the world during WW2 is absolutely staggering, which led us to ask - what could be out there that we haven't seen?
The answer is the entirely plausible Black Cat variation of the John Lofgren M-43. We swapped in a combination-tanned black Japanese roughout steerhide and added a custom shuttle-loomed label to complete the effect. The rest of the build stays the same, with USA-made Vibram 705 soles with 700 heels held on with a British-made Goodyear welt.
They are built around the same Munson last as used in the originals, which makes for a comfortable, supportive boot.
These run true to boot sizing, take your size in the Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger or Alden TruBalance. If you already own a pair of John Lofgren M-43, these do run slightly tighter due to the hide being used - we suggest sizing up only if you are in between sizes.
- Unlined black rough-out Japanese steerhide, tanned in Himeji
- Munson last
- Unstructured toe
- Leather midsole
- Shuttle loomed label.
- Goodyear welt
- Vibram 705 sole with 700 heel
- Made In Japan
In-store pickup: Free
Socks/Bandannas - free shipping
Orders over $150 - free shipping
Orders under $150 - flat rate of $8 shipping
Canada Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $15
DHL Express (2-3 business days) - $30
Canada Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (1-3 business days) - $30
Rest of World Shipping - Orders under $500
USPS First Class (10 - 15 business days) - $20
USPS Priority Mail (5 - 8 business days) - $35
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $40
Rest of World Shipping - Orders over $500
DHL Express (2-4 business days) - $30
We want you to be comfortable shopping with us online without being able to touch the product. Before you purchase, please check the size charts we provide against your favorite garments.
- Returns will be accepted on full-price items within 14 days of delivery (as verified by courier)
- Items sold on sale or discount are final sale, no returns or exchanges.
- Items must be in original condition with all tags attached. Washed, hemmed, altered or burnt items cannot be returned.
- All return and exchange shipping costs are your responsibility
- We will process all returns within 3 business days of receipt
- Our team will acknowledge receipt and action take with your return
- If you have questions at any time you can reach us at email@example.com or use our contact form, or phone us at 510-373-9696.